Uwe Brauer writes:
So I open my .abbrevs_defs file (which looks ok) the coding system
set to UTF8, so I set the coding back to iso-8859-1, write the file,
restart xemacs, but no again that problem occurs.
Try viewing the .abbrevs_defs with `less' or something to make sure
the file is in fact in ISO-8859-1.
- why does xemacs 21.4.19 no work with a UTF8 coding for the
How do you load your abbrevs? If it's in your init file, and it is
before you load Mule-UCS, then it will treat it as something other
than Unicode, usually iso-8859-1.
- why can't I set the iso-8859-1 coding?
What do you mean? Do you mean why doesn't the file become iso-8859-1
when you write it? I suspect that
1. The file has informática specified correctly in UTF-8.
2. It gets read with incorrect coding and appears as informÃ¡tica.
3. You reset coding to iso-8859-1, but this is a null operation
because XEmacs already thinks it's iso-8859-1.
4. You save it out the same, and nothing changes.
Changing the coding system of a buffer DOES NOT change the
interpretation of the file into buffer contents, because this
interpretation (decoding) has already been done. So to save the
abbrevs file in iso-8859-1, you need to revise informÃ¡tica to
informática before saving.
XEmacs-Beta mailing list