(responding to a 6month old msg...)
Mats Lidell <matsl(a)xemacs.org> writes:
Michael Sperber writes:
> Very odd: It seems it's trying to insert the directory list into
> the *Buffer List* buffer.
This sounds like the same problem I have been seeing for years:
The idea that font locking could be involved let me then to go back to good
old slow font locking and by that I manage to keep the problem away. But it
resurfaced again a few months, maybe even half a year, ago. So I guess the bug
it is lurking inside somewhere.
> Could you trace the `dired-find-buffer-nocreate' function when it
> happens, reproduce the problem, and post the output? I.e.
> M-x trace-function-backgroud RET
> dired-find-buffer-nocreate RET
> and then post the contents of *trace-output*?
This sounds very much like a problem I reported back in May 2005
(below). Altho the (set-buffer) seemed to fix it, the real fix was
to give up on lazy-lock.
Subject: Re: current buffer changed on return from call-process in 21.5.20
Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 13:36:49 -0400
Yesterday I tried to switch from 21.5.18 to 21.5.20. Compiled it
with no optimization and with all debug enabled:
./configure --with-gcc --with-optimization --disable-database --disable-sound
On each find-file, XEmacs threw an error indicating "bad ispell
version". Dired failed with something like "bad multi-alist".
I had time to partially track down the ispell problem. ispell is
invoked because I use flyspell on most writable files. ispell's
function check-ispell-version (ispell-config.el) uses
call-process to run 'ispell -vv' and then searches the output
looking for a version number.
Stepping thru this function, it appears to have failed because on
return from call-process, current-buffer is no longer ispell's
tmp buffer, but actually *scratch*. Adding a set-buffer works
around the problem:
(set-buffer (get-buffer-create " *ispell-tmp*"))
(setq status (call-process
ispell-program-name nil t nil
;; aspell doesn't accept the -vv switch.
(memq system-type '(ms-dos windows-nt)))
;; Assume anything that isn't `aspell' is Ispell.
(if (string-match "\\`aspell" speller) "-v"
+++ (set-buffer " *ispell-tmp*")
(if (not interactivep)
;; return library path.
(if (re-search-forward "LIBDIR = \\\"\\([^ \t\n]*\\)\\\"" nil t)
(setq result (buffer-substring (match-beginning 1)
With 'xemacs -q', enable flyspell and then open a file, the
problem does NOT occur and flyspell and ispell seem to be doing
the right thing. So clearly triggered by something in my setup.
I haven't had time yet to see what in my setup is triggering this.
If no one else has seen or figured this out, I'll get to it again
in a day or 2.
lazy-lock is either the culprit or the trigger here.
If I have lazy-lock active, and font-lock enabled for dired mode,
then call-process calls made on behalf of dired-mode may return
with current-buffer as some other buffer. Ditto for ispell-mode
if the buffer has font-lock enabled.
This problem did not start with 21.5.20, however. It also
happens with 21.5.18 and the latest packages as of 4/19/05.
I'm pretty sure this actually started when I did a pkg update on
4/19/05. Most recent pkg update before that was on 1/19/05.
I'll try this as well but from my experience when the problem
occurs you are
smoked. Trying the operation again does not reveal that much since the
situation is different. And the dired buffer is definitely not right so you
need to look out for other errors caused by that fact. Maybe deleting the
dired buffer and retrying the operation is worth a try if the other way
doesn't work out right.
XEmacs-Beta mailing list