At long last I've got the process of putting the mailing list archives
back online. The xemacs-beta archive for 2006 is now complete (ie,
January-August and October-current, September was a total loss). I
should have this going back to 2003 or so in a couple of days, and
will be starting on others. The spam that infested the archives will
be gone, I hope.
Please notify me <stephen(a)xemacs.org> or xemacs-services(a)xemacs.org if
you notice breakage in the archives, either remaining "spam"
(including vacation notices, virus blowback, and the like), or broken
threads that may be due to overaggressive spam filtering of the
In the interest of getting *something* online, I'm using the builtin
pipermail archiver that Mailman supplies. It's not great, but it
works. Caveats: the URLs generated are just sequence numbers. This
means that any changes to the archive will change them. I've been
discussing with the Mailman developers about some way to create true
URNs (probably based on the message-id), so don't depend on the URLs
We don't have a search facility in place yet. The "wilma" engine that
we used before was a PITA to keep running; besides that (which is an
option), I'm looking at Xapian and Namazu. Hopefully Google will pick
our archives up pretty quickly though, so you'll at least have
"site:calypso.tux.org" to fall back on.
Still working on resurrecting lists.xemacs.org
, but we need to be careful about that as
Mailman is a little tricky to configure in a virtual domain.
XEmacs-Beta mailing list