Mats Lidell writes:
Isn't it time to start the next task now? Fixing the files that
GPLv2 or later or compatible with GPLv2 or later? I guess it can take
some more time but you are free to surprise me here again ;-)
No. You can't change the license without permission of the author.
We need to look at the files and see whether we can be reasonably sure
that the authors intended GPLvN or later, for various values of N,
and/or permissive, GPL-compatible licenses. Some of our authors are
dead for example, so in cases like that we have to guess about what
heirs or assignees might think.
We also need to think about the documentation screwage (eg, the
invariant GPLv1 mess).
I had this trategy in mind. Since we can't move files to GPLv3
later at the same time as we have file with other licenses in the repo
we need to move all files to GPLv2 first. Then do a big bang when we
switch all to GPLv3.
No, that is not a problem. As long as all files have a
GPLv3-compatible license, they can be in a distribution we distribute
under GPLv3. The FSF doesn't like that, but that's a strategic issue,
not a legal one. GNU Emacs has several files with non-GPL license
notices as a courtesy to authors who have requested that, I believe,
and as Jerry points out some GNU files are GPLv1 or later still.
The problem is that we cannot distribute files that are not GPLv3
compatible in a GPLv3 distribution.
So it is a simple matter of going over each file that is not GPLv2
decide what to do with it:
- Remove (if not needed)
- Relicense (is it possible to make unlicensed files GPLv2?)
No. If we don't have a license, we can't distribute it anyway. We
are assuming that we do have a license already. This is just a good
opportunity to straighten things out. The question is what permission
notice do we put there?
- Replace with GPLv2 version from Emacs
Then do it and supply a patch to xemacs-patches for review.
But how do we do it?
You can do anything you want in a private repository, including
inserting a copy of the Windows kernel in a comment in the header.
The GPL doesn't care. The easiest way to handle it is for somebody to
volunteer to change permission notices in a private repo until it's
done. The volunteer doesn't even have to wait, they can start
changing notices now (as long as there is no distribution from that
XEmacs-Beta mailing list