set out to fix a bug occuring in all Emacsen, reported at
I wrote an alternative comment.el, as announced
already. It's designed to be more simple.
The bug of `indent-new-comment-line' should be gone
with the following:
(global-set-key [(meta j)] 'comment-indent-new-line-lor)
After evaluating both files, M-x `comment-all-test-lor'
will let you watch some tests with dummy textes.
Comment.el should not disturb newcomment.el; it's
suffix `-lor' means `line-or-region':
- If no active region exists, it operates from current line.
Other main diffs to newcomment.el are:
- Styles will not be chosen by customization, but
called with respective functions. Thus you may insert
indented, plain, boxed or multiline comments without
- If a style offers more than one comment
end-start-set, as "//" or "/* */" in C, it's up to
the mode to deliver the callers, which have to set
starts and ends. (That remains to do in the modes.)
- No use of syntax-tables.
- Deliberate limited use of regexps.
- Check if a comment-char is found inside a string no
longer relies on fontifying.
XEmacs-Beta mailing list