auctex: problems creating a branch
Stephen J. Turnbull
stephen at xemacs.org
Thu May 15 06:35:10 EDT 2008
Uwe Brauer writes:
> Stephen suggested to create a branch by:
> cvs tag -b -r auctex-1_48 auctex-11_84-import
> When I do this I obtain
> cvs [server aborted]: could not open lock file `/pack/xemacscvs/XEmacs/packages/xemacs-packages/auctex/,.cvsignore,': Permission denied
I think you've probably tried this in a pserver (anonymous) checkout.
Nobody has permission to check in by pserver, only by ext.
Anyway, I just successfully created the branch for you. Try checking
it out into a fresh directory with
cvs checkout -r auctex-11_84-import auctex
If that works, you will get a checkout of the 1.48 version (ie, AUCTeX
11.55). You can then
1. copy the AUCTeX 11.84 files on top of this directory, making new
subdirectories as needed
2. use cvs add * in each directory to add the appropriate files,
3. use cvs remove -f FILE FILE ... to remove unneeded files
You don't need to do anything about empty directories (they will
still have the CVS directory in them), CVS will handle them itself.
4. do "ls -R correct-AUCTeX-11.84 new-auctex-directory | sort | uniq -u"
which will tell you if there are any files you forgot to copy or
5. do "less `find . -name Entries`" and check that all files there
have the right T tag on them (paranoia...)
6. if everything seems OK, do "cvs commit -m 'Import AUCTeX 11.84'"
7. if you have any empty directories and they don't disappear
automatically, try "cvs update -dP" and they should.
Don't panic if something doesn't seem right; version control means
being able to recover from pretty much any mistake. (Of course any
mistake you make will also be preserved eternally in the records. :)
More information about the XEmacs-Beta