[Novalug] Adaptec 2944UW, DELL 120T tape library, Debian
jhart at kevla.org
Wed Feb 27 20:39:35 EST 2008
How experienced are you troubleshooting SCSI problems?
Several things you might want to check:
1. Does your device (tape library) support active or passive termination?
2. What kind of termination (active or passive) are you using?
3. Is this unit internal or external?
4. How long is the cable?
5. What confidence level do you have that the cable is working, meaning not
broken, no visible damage?
6. What other devices, if any, do you plugged into the SCSI card?
7. Can you test to see if the card recognizes other devices?
I think this is enough for now.
> Good afternoon folks,
> I have been pulling my hair out trying to solve this problem.
> This server runs Debian 4.0. That is the linux connection! ;)
> Unfortunately, before I can get Linux booted, I have to have the tape
> library recognized by the Adaptec card. Which unfortunately, it doesn't do.
> The tape library is an HVD unit. The 2944UW is the recommended card so it
> is HVD also. When I boot the device and go into the scsi setup, the card
> does NOT recognize the unit. I have called DELL and since this was a used
> purchase, they were unable to help. I called Adaptec and they wanted a
> minimum of $80 to start troubleshooting the issue with no guarantee of a
> solution. That is when I decided to ask the experts.
> So, does anyone have any experience with this equipment and if so, would you
> be willing to offer a bit of assistance? Also, is there anyone in the
> Sterling area with an external HVD scsi device that might be willing to
> either test a card for me?
> Novalug mailing list
> Novalug at calypso.tux.org
More information about the Novalug